Windows 7 arrived on Friday, bringing with it great excitement.
As suggested, I read through the literature, gave serious thought to how I was going to achieve the upgrade, and set out half a plan.
How I wish now that I had given it more thought and set out a whole plan!
The upgrade, which is a fresh install, actually went very well. I ran the pre-upgrade Windows Easy Transfer, and dumped an enormous file onto an empty external disk. I also made sure that I had all that I needed to reinstall my software (mostly, the downloads directory). All the licensing information is contained in emails, so that’s OK.
Having done the Easy Transfer part, I started the install process. This PC had originally come (as a bargain) with XP media edition on, even though the machine carried a Vista product code. When we had to rebuild it, I couldn’t activate Media Edition, so installed XP Pro using the codes from a dead PC to activate it. That meant I had two fully installed copies of XP on the C drive, one of which I could neither use nor remove. That was why I encouraged Win7 to reformat C.
The install was quick enough and went well, and I soon began the process of installing software. The obvious first candidate was Thunderbird, so I could use email. It installed easily but couldn’t find its profile settings or mail. Neither could I.
Had I given the upgrade more thought and set out a whole plan, I would have copied the17GB mail directory from the C drive before formatting it!
Fortunately, the last regular complete system backup was taken last Sunday and was good. The worst case scenario was thus a loss of email received between Sunday midday and Friday evening – not good, but not a total disaster.
Windows 7 has no way of restoring from an XP backup.
Clare’s PC runs XP, so I was able to restore the relevant directories to there. It took about three hours. I then copied the directories the the network storage, where I would be able to see them from my PC. That took four hours. I then downloaded the one directory that I really needed, and dropped it into what I thought to be the right place on my PC – another four hour job.
Thunderbird didn’t seem to like it. After scouring the internet this morning, I found some advice which, if it is good, will mean I should have my email up and running as soon as I have recopied the directories (not just the one I did earlier) to a different place on my PC. That copy should finish in an hour or so. Then, I should be able to install a load of software and activate it. Full-price software is mostly in now, as I have the original CDs.
A little more attention to detail could have saved me a great deal of time, effort and heartache.
Post-publishing note – we now have email back!
In other news, as the Beeb are wont to say, Miranda visited this week and was determined to do something to help us. Although there are some big jobs coming up, involving chainsaws, climbing trees and so on, I don’t want to start any of them until all my stitches are out, so they remain on hold.
More in jest than in earnest, we said that if she wanted to be helpful, she could help us (by which I mean Clare) tidy and rearrange the cellar.
For reasons that I can’t begin to fathom, she jumped at the chance and really rose to the challenge. For a couple of days there was a lot of activity in the cellar, trips to the dump, more dust than you can imagine, and two women regularly appearing in a state that can only really be described as filthy.
I once saw a van in a dirty state, on the back door of which someone had written “I wish my wife was this dirty”. Somehow I think he had in mind something other than dirtiness achieved by cleaning out a cellar. If he did intend that, he would have really appreciated Clare and Miranda last week.
What did they achieve? Judge for yourself!
The losers in all this are the dogs. They had been having a good time sniffing around the cellar in case of mice (which had happened a couple of times) or rats (which we believe may have happened once, but our only evidence is what looked like an access hole in the corner that we have since blocked up).
I mentioned stitches. On Wednesday the nurse removed some of the stitches from my chest – with difficulty as the surgeon had done a running stitch rather than a number of single stitches. The rest she removed on Friday, and replaced with Steri-Strip™. She also removed some of the stitches from the ear. The rest will hopefully go on Monday (tomorrow). The only real problem now is, as aver, keeping the dressing on the ear when, for the most part, it has only hair and hairy skin to which it can adhere, and it is trying to hold something in a difficult position.
We had a call from DiAM this week, from the Commercial Advisor (salesman) through whom we are buying the Twingo. It seems that the delivery date is coming forward slightly. We have to wait for the call to say it is ready, but the current indication is 15th November. That is only three weeks away!
The weather has changed this week, rain on and off, and temperatures ranging from a high of 14°C to a low of 6°C; really autumnal. Clocks changed today, which we shall have to deal with; the clever ones have already done it – the weather stations, computers, satellite receivers and my watch all changed themselves. How I wish everything could be as clever.
Finally, it was touch and go this week when the boys decided that they would go for a drive. Fortunately I never leave the keys in the ignition, otherwise things could have been very different!Have a good week.
À la prochaine