This week's throwback Thursday takes us back ten years, with a post from 13 January 2008
A cat we don’t recall seeing before appeared this week. Possibly the most stripy cat I have ever seen! I know that all cats are said to be striped but, take a look at this one! Notice also the slightly bushy striped tail, which seems to point to a fair amount of wildcat in its make-up.This was the week we started to venture back into the garden. There is a lot we can do before the spring. Clare has been busy tending to and redesigning her patch, and getting the vines ready for the new year’s growth. The fig tree has been relocated and its place taken by another plum variant. Clare is threatening to start her own blog around her gardening exploits, so I shall say no more for now. We have attacked the sickest looking tree, removing dead branches and trimming a couple of branches that are putting the tree out of balance.
The ivy has been attacked around the bottom of the tree, to give it a better chance this year. That action proved very successful on the oak tree last year.
We took a look at the state of my beds yesterday. I’m very happy to say that neither the spinach nor the swede had been affected by the deep frosts we have been experiencing on and off over the past weeks as the picture shows
Unfortunately, though, the broad beans seem to have fared less well. We really need to get the greenhouse up and working!
We have done a bit more work in the barn this week, although nothing like as much as we should have, and the other jobs I mentioned last week have not been touched.
At the beginning of the week I moved one of my web sites from the Orange server to a free setup I was using at MemeBot. I started using it shortly after arriving here and stuck with it. However, adding the new site, on 7th January, would put me over the limit for the free service, so I purchased an upgrade for a year and waited for the ability to upload the site. Three days later I still couldn’t, but they had inserted an invoice in my account for extra disk space used in December (I had not exceeded my 30MB until 7th January). Emails are not being answered and it seems to be very difficult to log in now. I have, therefore, set up a new arrangement with webhosting.uk.com, where the CAISS property site and the Porridge Club site are already hosted, and I have moved the Invercassley Cottage site, the Le-Grenier site and my own sites onto it. I have also done some cosmetic work on a number of the sites to give them a cleaner presentation. Quite a busy week, all in all.
Today’s exercise is to set up an internet connection for a friend of Rik – all done and ready to go, so I just need to set up the man’s PC this morning.
Rik told us a while ago that he had acquired a large amount of wood for the fire at a very reasonable price. We have asked him to get back to his contact and arrange for 15 stères (about 12 cubic metres) to be delivered to us. Not quite sure yet where we are going to put it or how we are going to get it there, but it should be at least two years’ supply for us.
Speaking of wood – here’s a picture of Clare looking very happy splitting logs!
We have also been talking to Rik some more about our plans for the Velux window in the study. That is progressing nicely, and we expect to see a charpentier for a quote within the next few weeks.
I think that’s it for this week. Off now to sort Wim’s internet access.